Thursday 19 November 2009

Geopsychology, or Coffee Drinking in Greece

It has been known for ages, that climate and landscape shape national identity and mentality: that annual amount of sunshine has as much influence on one's personality as family habits or schooling. Landscape also played a major role in creation of language as we know it today and, of course, music, which is in a way reflection of the language or even its natural extention.
When I hear Catalan Spanish (as oppose to Colombian), I see this flaming deserts, this huge dazzling empty sky, this austere mountain ranges and  agressive attacking sun. I almost hear flamenco rhythm in an everyday exchange at the butchers.

 And London is an increadible place for meeting individuals from every corner of our planet (can I say that? given that Earth is round?). But only through travelling one can fully experience this concept, which every time feels like one own's discovery. 

I have noticed that the sunnier and warmer climate of the country - the sunnier and warmer are that country's folks. Occasionally, people get a bit crazy and overexcited with all that heat and unlimited sunshine. I am sure, everyone in London knows some Spaniard who is slightly mad or full on crazy. Nothing personal, but they just are ;-)

The more south you move  - the bigger and juicier fruit you get, insects blow out of proportion, resembling dinosauruses more that flies, cats aquire mad gaze and people tend to enjoy life more. This June we went to Greek island Sciathos to witness just that.


Oh, Greece, Greece, Greece, sweetest memories... Sun, strawberry daikiris, blurry horizon line and intoxicating, almost drinkable  acacia aroma, filling the air.... Pines upon pines upon pines and quiet. Crystall clear chilled water, kleftico, stiffado and the sourest wine ever. Oh, how much I loved that place!

In terms of coffee drinking - Greek like theirs in tiny cups with plenty of sugar and without milk. Coffee there is first being ground to almost flour like powder and then brewed. Waiters in cafes will ask you if you want your coffee medium, which I thought was reference to the size, but when they brought it for the first time in such a tiny vessel, I half-jokingly asked what small was like - ... (now, I don;t know the word for a sewing device that one uses to push needle through particularly thick material, I hope you get me!)?


His replay was that medium means amount of sugar in coffee and that foreigners usually drink medium.
Naturally,  being secretly addicted to sugar and desperately trying to conceal this addiction, I said that I don't want ANY sugar and once the drink arrived heroically tried it  - it was very strong, almost like espresso, but syropy and thick and quite bitter (hence sugar I guess).


I loved it, because I loved Greece and greek coffee will forever remind me of golden times spent in this paradise on Earth.  

PS. The box of Nescafe  on one of the pictures - is not typical, I want to think that instant coffee in Greece is a mean of convenience and not an acceptable habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment