Sunday 1 November 2009

Blend "Kensal Rise"

On the Conference we also discussed, how the blends are being made and Lisa, the host of the Roasting section, brought up "Thanksgiving blend", the blend that was especially created to "complement sweet and savoury dishes shared around Thanksgiving table". It was launched 4th of November last year and is a "flavourful combination of full-bodied beans from Sumatra, with hints of fine herbs, and beans from Guatemala, which add subtle spice, notes of cocoa and a pleasant sparkle". 
It is not featured on the Starbucks web site this year, so I am wondering if it was a one off or a coffee proudly taking its place in a wonderful Starbucks whole bean line-up.

As Lisa said, mainly coffees are being blended before roasting (and, I guess, it takes a lot of time to create a blend  through the way of trial and error), however, in some cases, like our "Verona", beans being mixed after roasting, because some of the beans had too be Italian or Continental roast, which is very dark.

After that session, I felt quite inspired to try my hand at creating my very own blend. I would call it "Kensal Rise Blend". Kensal Rise is a very lively area, where I live, "melting pot" of cultures and nationalities, on the border of street-wise Ladbroke Grove and divorced from reality Queen's Park.

My blend would be full-bodied affair with aroma of fried chicken from kebab shop next door, hints of red wine, excessively drank at "Chamberlayne", and aftertaste of honey, in honour of honeys roaming the Queen's Park. I think it'll be huge success!)))

Kensal Rise and Queen's Park last year, when it was snowing like mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment