Friday 18 June 2010

Fernandez and Wells

On Thursday as a part of Regional Coffee Meeting we went to check out our competitors. To be honest, when I saw agenda I thought that we would go to Costa or Nero or maybe Pret, because they are our competition. But we went to the indie coffee shops.
In my opinion, indie coffee shops we can't really compete with them. And them with us. Because obviously the volume of the business is very different , the feel, the products etc. However, the visit was great. Our group went to Fernandez and Wells on Beak street. I have read about this coffee shop before on thisisnaive.com , a lovely blog on lifestyle and beautiful things. I was very curious and was going to visit it anyway. It was a nice surprise that Charlotte took us there.
I loved the casual, easy feel of the place. Simple painted white wooden panels, rustic furniture, squeaky wooden floors. There are few places like this in Soho and plenty in Berlin. It appears "cheap", as if knocked out from the junk that was gathering dust in the Dad's loft, different mugs, vases with flowers, old-fashioned chairs... But I just know for sure, this is very well thought through strategy, million tiny design decisions resulting in you, consumer, nostalgia-ing about your granny's cottage and tea with scones and jam. Coming back to your roots. To nature. To simple unpretentious living. And you want to bring your girlfriend there. Ideally, sporting a pretty dress with daisies all over it. Sigh. It is just so GREAT.
Anyway, the beans they are using are a bit dodgy. I drunk my espresso, forcing myself. It was a bit harsh, very sour and our collective opinion is that they put some robusta in it. Our coffee is def better, but they have their washed-out white walls, and have time to steam the milk properly.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment