Thursday 3 June 2010

Coffee with cardamom

It is such a glorious summer morning outside, and I am off work and this kind of morning just calls for wasting one's time laying on the grass in the park and listening to the birds, melting into the grass, reading some profound book which just doesn't make any sense but is still pleasant to read thanks to enchanting combination of vowels and consonants and mesmerising rhythms.
Well, for a start, I just brewed myself a cup of coffee. How original! However, it is not your usual coffee I did. It is brew with the twist, with the nod to ancient cultures of Middle East and West Asia. (Cardamom grows pretty much in the same conditions that coffee trees require; sometimes it provides some additional income for coffee farmers, however, demand for this spice is relatively low and can't alone sustain the whole family or coop. It was just the matter of time, that folks would start mixing these two. Some people also get kicks adding cardamom into chocolate. Bless them!)
So, Coffee with cardamom! I have to say, I did it wrong! Checking the cyberspace for some info AFTER preparing the coffee was a bit short-sighted. I brewed coffee with far too many cardamom pods (about 8 for a cup!), which I didn't ground - just whacked them in the caffetier. But still it tasted WOW! It tasted new. Exciting! With very strong cardamom flavour, to be fair my concoction should be called Cardamom with coffee, not the other way round.
They also say cardamom is very powerful aphrodisiac. Spicy!
Try it for yourself - couple of ground pods for a cup would be enough to add some fragrance and flavour without overpowering coffee itself. Have a happy tasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment