Thursday 18 February 2010

Manual bean grinding rocks!

Last weekend was very busy and packed with action. I went to record sound for Sedi Ghadiri's short called "Pomegranate", met a bunch of extremely interesting characters and visited some mind-blowing places.
On Saturday, we filmed in Eric's place and whilst preparing for a shoot had a cup or two of coffee. Eric happend to be my kind of person, he takes environmental issues close to his heart and acts accordingly, buying energy saving lamps and grinding his beans in a manual grinder. He is healthily ironic about it as well, he goes "All my efforts will help to prolong this planet's life for a second. Over my lifetime".


He is buying beans from Sainsbury's, "the cheap ones", grinds them for each cup and brews a silver caffetiere. All this results in rather nice cup of coffee. The only difference in his church is that he puts milk in his coffee. For me - no-no, only black, please.


We also filmed a scene in a West African groceries shop, which also sells Ghana's finest TV soaps and musical talent. The groceries were very different from what you usually can get in Tesco's: palm oil, dried theethy fish, dried huge maggots (!!!) (It did put me off my dinner, I have to say), spices for goats meat, pig tail's etc. I couldn't take pics because I was busy with sound, but I managed to capture some of the things in another location - Greek shop in Manor House. That was quite a shop! It sells plenty of fresh fruit and veg, some of them I have never seen or heard of, Greek candies and Turkish bread and garden sculptures and pottery. The owner was Greek Cypriot and very friendly (he had moustash in its beauty approaching Dali's), he asked everyone of us, whether we were Greek. None of us was, but he didn't seem to be dissappointed. He showed us his photographs  and said that one of them was on display in National Portret Gallery. I actually want to believe him.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment