Sunday 6 December 2009

How about Coffee Roulade with Salmon Filling and Apple and Horseradish Confit

Yesterday I was off from my Coffee Master duties and went to the library. I usually keep my eyes peeled and have no plan as what to borrow, I just browse around different sections and always find something interesting. For example, my last trip resulted in large heavy tome on the nature of hurricains. It is a mixture of scientific account and poetry with many colourful pictures and you get the feeling that the author is clearly in love with the subject - powerul and beautiful nature phemonenon, although very unkind to all our humans arrangements. 

So, walking around, I stumbled upon a DYI section which included cooking books. I have a soft spot for cooking books, although rarely cook myself - all those pictures of food, carefully selected and retouched, just like ageing celeb, fancy napkins and rustic plates, little stories behind this particular dish ("I cooked this parfait for my girlfriend and she immediately agreed to marry me" or "That pud tastes exactly like my Gran's" ), all the labour involved to produce some culinary wonder - it is just mesmerising!

I found a book called (surprise, surprise!) "Cooking with Coffee. 60 recipes using Fair Trade coffee". I want to cook all the 60. Since the book is borrowed until 9th of Jan, theoretically, I might be able to do that, but realistically, I will be just bumming around the house on my days off, half heartedly looking for a job and heating up the Covent Garden's pearl barley soup, which I bought from Sainsbery's the other day in great abundance.          

The index list looks like a dream - Asparagus with Coffee Orange Butter, Coffee-smoked Fish with Nut vinaigrette, Crayfish Cappuccino (oh my, my!), Coffee Doughnuts, Coffee Pannacotta with Kiwi Fruit, Pineapple and Praline, Coffee Pancake with Pears in Spicy Syrup and (hold the emotions!) Mocha Macaroons!  There are as many savoury recipes as sweet which is good, I think, the savoury side of coffee is due to major update.

No comments:

Post a Comment