Thursday 8 July 2010

Riding the waves

I really envy people who celebrate their Birthdays with a big bash - think Kate Moss's usual 24 hour marathon of drinking and having a jolly good time, which later will re-appear on style pages of big fashion magazines teaching us how to dress for occasion with similar flair but on a shoe-string budget.
I never really had any Birthday Parties, but last few years I have just getting away with my other half to the places where I have always dreamt of visiting - Iceland, Paris... And actually not celebrating it, makes it kind of not happen, as if Time is not ticking at all and I will be eternally young and wild. (Sometimes I have difficulty remembering how old I am). Of course, it is only illusion and I am cruelly reminded about it every time I present my passport to a tired airport attendant...
Anyway, this time we went away for my husbands birthday. It was beyond amazing. We toyed with the idea of going to Greece, then Spain, then South of France, eventually settling for our very own gem in South West England - Cornwall. Newquay felt like a place to be with its thriving surf culture and busy club scene.
When we exited train, it looked like Miami to me, someone who never has been to Miami: palms, sunshine, slender girls with deep caramel tan in light sundresses, with numerous bracelets dangling from their fragile wrists, and guys with blond curly mops of hair in wetsuits carrying their trusted old long-boards to the beach.

Beach.... Oh, bliss... To wake up to the sound of ocean and just sit on the golden sand for hours in the end, just watching waves gently lapping and admire the power and might of Nature. It wasn't hot enough to long for a dip, but I still managed to swim in OCEAN! just for two minutes (it was flipping freezing), but I did it!
The coastal walks were rad as well - when you walk for 2 hours without meeting anyone apart from seagulls and odd rabbit rushing across the path. And it is just so uplifting!
PS. And I can't believe that I sold so quickly to this whole notion of surfing lifestyle - going to the beach everyday, hang out with dudes, wear pastel hoodies with abstract patterns and jean shorts... In Beach Hut Shop I bought my first copy of Cooler Mag, which is made for teenage girls, and read it to the state that the pages are falling out and some of them are a bit blurry from turning them too often and studying the content too hard.  I am dreaming of Billabong and Roxy.. Is it normal?  
  
       

No comments:

Post a Comment